Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to view an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You must remove the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will guarantee that when you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal should be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must think about the grade at which your yard currently sits and also the amount of soil that you must install to your new lawn. In some special cases when you might give a layer of brand new soil without getting above grade, you may leave the current lawn in position. New lawns will require a minimum depth of three inches of the well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed by using sod cutter, using a bobcat as well as an excavator in challenging to access yards may be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is very important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will spot much better growth over time when a quality top soil is installed. In many cases the more expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The perfect lawn ought to be constructed with at least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and also the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter ought to be avoided. Soils which contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor needs to be avoided also. In most cases topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure you ask your supplier the items in the soil and make sure the composting process is complete. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance needs to be requested from the supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf will be the preferred way of installing a brand new lawn. Sod may be installed all year round and turf farms are open to supply all year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to use depends on:
1. Using your lawn area. This can include the quantity of traffic that your particular lawn area is put through, including pets and children.
2. The quantity of sunlight that the lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
In most cases turf that comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for brand new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Be sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn may be completed using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams do not match at the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little extra work and spending some extra time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers all the soil. If you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult task in the event you don’t take the time to do it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position using a sharp knife. You might niugpu the scraps to fill in other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. There is no need to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod while you install. Tend not to allow the turf dry out at any point. When the sod is permitted to dry up, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day may need frequent watering so make sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the new lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a whole new lawn can be a very rewarding task and provides instant beautification for any property.